The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002

The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 (http://www.infekted.org/virus/forum.php)
-   The forum members' music (http://www.infekted.org/virus/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   My rendition of Yazoo's Don't Go (http://www.infekted.org/virus/showthread.php?t=25700)

Dan 08.08.2005 04:40 PM

My rendition of Yazoo's Don't Go

Programmed 100% on my Virus b and sequenced on an MPC 1000.

http://s26.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1...N2OBJVH99POUFY

Enjoy!
Dan

3o3 08.08.2005 06:28 PM

I love the original and this remix is good - however if you maybe would use abit more EQ on the lead. Remake the whole "sssssssSSSSSOOOOOOM"-effect.

Add reverb and some delay to fatten the sound up abit.

Or is this just your remake or did you wanna come as close to the original as possible?

Dan 08.08.2005 09:43 PM

Actually, I wanted to come as close to the original as possible. That's why I didn't overdo the effects. Thanks for the feedback!

jasedee 09.08.2005 09:21 AM

Sounds pretty cool....

I cant quite recall exactly how the original sounds so I can give any comparisons to that, but your recreation does sound frighteningly 80's authentic.

Nice work mate!

:)

Tomer=Trance 09.08.2005 11:28 AM

YEAH! 80s!
you got that great 80s lo fi sound althought i would try a different reverb algoritem on the unison lead.

great work.

Dan 09.08.2005 03:27 PM

Thanks for all the feeback. I'm not too familiar with the reverb algorithms on the Virus. Maybe someone that has the original can help me make it sound better?

Peace \/
Dan

pDc 09.08.2005 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan
Thanks for all the feeback. I'm not too familiar with the reverb algorithms on the Virus. Maybe someone that has the original can help me make it sound better?

Peace \/
Dan

If you compare your intro to that of the original track, it is clear which has the nicer reverb.

Original: nice long decay adds warmth, depth and texture.
Yours: Short decay, 'platey', metallic sound. Makes the lead sound cheap and thin.

I have a Virus B and find the reverb to be horrible. I turn it off when recording and then run it through Ultrafunk Reverb (or Voxengo convolution reverb now and then).

Anyway,

Your track is really nice.
One thing I would say is that it sounds like the mid frequencies are too prominent. I'd like to hear the high frequencies boosted a bit so it sounds more pleasant.

Great work and excellent composition / sequencing.

Dan 10.08.2005 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pDc
If you compare your intro to that of the original track, it is clear which has the nicer reverb.

Yours: Short decay, 'platey', metallic sound. Makes the lead sound cheap and thin.

I appreciate your honesty. Since the whole composition was done on the Virus, I didn't use any other external/vst effects. I may go back one day and do a better job mixing/mastering, but this was mostly a lesson in synth programming for me.

Peace \/
Dan

Merlot 13.08.2005 06:40 AM

Must say, great job!! Really diggin the retro sounds used. Everything needs more compression though. Take that with a grain of salt since I am listening to it on my work speakers. :?

pDc 14.08.2005 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan
Quote:

Originally Posted by pDc

I appreciate your honesty. Since the whole composition was done on the Virus, I didn't use any other external/vst effects. I may go back one day and do a better job mixing/mastering, but this was mostly a lesson in synth programming for me.

Peace \/
Dan

I hope I didn't come across wrong - I didn't mean to knock your fine synth programming or use of the fx. Just having a go at the poor (imo) Virus reverb ;)

Thanks for the listen, Dan. I really enjoyed the track.
I have been trying to find out the name of that track for ages! Now I know the name :D

I will have to make a rendition/remix of this track one day. It's a great/interesting song. I have the acappella too!