The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002

The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 (http://www.infekted.org/virus/forum.php)
-   General discussion about Access Virus (http://www.infekted.org/virus/forumdisplay.php?f=105)
-   -   Renting Equipment? (http://www.infekted.org/virus/showthread.php?t=29105)

guenther527 15.08.2007 02:36 PM

Renting Equipment?

Hey all,
Just had an idea regarding generating some much needed income. Does or has anyone ever rented their equipment? I live in a fairly large metropolis but I know from experience that the Virus isn't easy to acquire. I feel I have a fairly unique setup with the Virus and I use Kore, a ton of NI soft synths, Logic, a couple of Novation boards, 2 different hardware samplers and a Radias R. Judging from some of pics that have been posted I don't have much but with our emerging music scene there might be some demand.

Thoughts??

Tomer=Trance 17.08.2007 06:32 PM

If the price is right...
I would happily rent a virus for the weekend for tracking and replacing my soft synth sounds with the virus sounds.
A similar thing is commonly done in home projects - recording guitars at home with amp emulation and then retracking at a proper studio with good amps and nice outboard and mic collection.

Hollowcell 19.08.2007 11:42 AM

Yeah I would happily rent some nice gear too, but I would never rent out stuff to others - just imagine how it'll be treated!

ledge 19.08.2007 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hollowcell (Post 278228)
Yeah I would happily rent some nice gear too, but I would never rent out stuff to others - just imagine how it'll be treated!

I think this is the biggest thing. The risk involved in renting it is pretty big. You'd have to have it insured but I'm not sure if anyone would insure it if they knew that it was being rented.

DJ K3LanSlayer 20.08.2007 08:41 PM

My gut instinct is no. Maybe if I had a studio and the renter was renting studio time... maybe.... and that's with a $2,500 deposit on the Master Card.

I can see some piss drunk rocker spilling warm beer all over my keyboard... and laughing his best Sid imitation.... "hey be careful I'm renting that from so and so" ... and the typical replay ... "F**K him"

NO!

Non-working musicians never ever have any money, EVER. So if they break it without a deposit you're not going to recover anything.

Tomer=Trance 21.08.2007 08:29 PM

Three words, musical instruments insurance ,the fee is higher but in case of any damage to the gear your covered.
Many companies who rent out high end outboard gear,PA stuff,etc... use it.
The price of rent per day/week has the insurance built-in.

One could make a lot of money in some countries where this service is needed but not available,
On the other hand there are plenty of studios who sell studio time and own a nice collection of keyboards, I'm not sure i would be willing to pay 60-70$ an hour just to record synths.