The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002

The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 (http://www.infekted.org/virus/forum.php)
-   The forum members' music (http://www.infekted.org/virus/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   Studer 169-Live acoustic track (http://www.infekted.org/virus/showthread.php?t=24667)

jasedee 21.09.2004 12:01 PM

Studer 169-Live acoustic track

Ok.....here it is folks. The one you've all been waiting for!

A friend of mine offered to help me "test drive" the Studer, and came around with his acoustic guitar and belted out a couple of tunes for me. It was also a lesson in microphone placement and technique, and we experimented alot with various stereo recordings.....

The song on the link below is, IMO probably one of the best tracks we recorded that night. I think the vocal sound we achieved is a good representation of the sound of the Studer Mic-Pre's.

Im sure the MP3 conversion may have damaged the audio, but hopefully not so much that you wont get a rough idea of how gorgeous this desk sounds.

Enjoy!

http://stickychicken.tripod.com/site...onstration.mp3

Jase :)

P.S please feel free to give your critical opinions of the sound....especially the vocals

Tomer=Trance 21.09.2004 12:31 PM

the way you balanced the vocal and guitar is a bit wrong to my opinion-voice goes over the guitar at some points,did you run the vocal thru a compressor?
but other then that it sounds great.

3o3 21.09.2004 01:08 PM

I just got ask, why didn't you encode it in abit higher resolution..

and oh, did you use iTunes to make this mp3? - I noticed when i compressed my songs iTunes before it made the sound in the song, err how should i explain - it crushed the sound in a way i didn't like.

Anyways, otherwise it sounds good mate

Hollowcell 21.09.2004 02:13 PM

Even through the MP3 encoding there is quite alot of warmth. Specially the lower to mid frequencies of that guys voice. I'm listening on phones so I can't judge fully, but it sounds pretty nice.

I think the only way for me to judge properly would be for you to send it over to me so I can play with it sweaping EQs and driving those pres as hard as I can.

jasedee 22.09.2004 12:32 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Tomer=Trance: Alot of the session was spent experimenting with my mic positioning....and I must admit that it is a bit wonky. We did 23 tracks in total and each one sounds a little different. I should also say that, I mixed all 23 tracks in 5 hours, which includes FX, dynamics processing, bouncing to stereo, bit rate conversion, and a little mastering. The guy needed them for a meeting and so I could not spend as much time as I would have liked to. I did get a brand new TAMA picollo snare for doing the sessions!!! YAY....

Oh yeah...and I used TC Works plug-ins for compression on both the vocal & guitar, but on a 'soft' setting

303: About the MP3 encoding.....I usually use this program called 'sound converter' to convert my wav to MP3....but for some reason it was playing up, so I used my two track editing/mastering software, and when it asked me what bit rate, I just selected the one that was already highlighted. I wasnt sure what I should use.......what bit-rate do you use??? And what program???

Hollowcell: You wanna pay for shipping???? This thing weighs a ton! I will sell you one of the channel modules though

For US$10,000! :lol:

Hollowcell 23.09.2004 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasedee
Hollowcell: You wanna pay for shipping???? :

I really think you should pay for the shipping. At least you pay for th shipping one way. You can...umm...trust me to return it when it's convienient for me. :D

jasedee 23.09.2004 03:14 AM

I wouldnt even trust my own mother with the Studer......hehehe

Hollowcell 24.09.2004 01:01 AM

Neither would I Jase! I think we have all seen those videos of your Mother. 8O

3o3 24.09.2004 10:58 AM

This might just be me however whenever i try to show some soundquality i usually wanna send the .wav file or if that isn't possible i try to atleast use 192/stereo-encoding.

Anyways, I agree with HC here - it sure has some nice parts in it which i like alot but then again alot of warmth and soundquality goes down the drain due to the fact of the compression of the mp3.

When HC's done checking your board, please let me lend it for awhile. then i could give you a proper 'review' of it

jasedee 24.09.2004 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3o3
This might just be me however whenever i try to show some soundquality i usually wanna send the .wav file

I agree....but when I tried to upload onto the website, it didnt like it too much. Too big I think, which is why I converted it to MP3. Next time I will convert at 192.

And how did those videos get out of my bedroom :?