The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002

The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 (http://www.infekted.org/virus/forum.php)
-   General discussion about Access Virus (http://www.infekted.org/virus/forumdisplay.php?f=105)
-   -   do my outputs hiss? (http://www.infekted.org/virus/showthread.php?t=27230)

dr. orange 03.07.2006 05:15 AM

do my outputs hiss?

hello!
I'm not sure whether it's the sounds I create or the outputs, but there are some unpleasant artifacts... How to find out whether the outputs hiss? If they did, would they also hiss on a low frequency sinewave or do you recognise hiss only with timbres that have a certain amount of high frequencies?

It might as well be aliasing, but I suppose at C3 as rootnote with untransposed oscillarots, the amount of alias is rather low

Threlly 03.07.2006 10:52 AM

I have heard some artifacts, but I thought they were there on purpose, part of the patch.
Other patches of a similar nature are free of them.

As for Oscillarots, nasty things, big teeth, live under the shed.
I'd put some poison down.

jasedee 03.07.2006 11:46 AM

Try switching the outputs and see if they still hiss...

Timo 03.07.2006 11:51 AM

Not sure, but the first things to check would be if the bit-reduction or sample-rate reduction effects (distortion + saturation) are used, and/or if Noise is used as an sound source, or whatever.

The bit-reduction feature, by design, gives off strange artefacts particularly during the late decay/release portion of a sound, if activated.

The FM control may also be a source of distortion/hiss, such as FM modulation via white noise, etc.

blay 04.07.2006 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Threlly
As for Oscillarots, nasty things, big teeth, live under the shed.
I'd put some poison down.

:lol:

Couldnt let that one go past unnoticed eh Threlly?

cheers

Blay

dr. orange 05.07.2006 10:14 AM

I compared all the outputs with the USB out in a blind test, and two times, I felt the USB sound a little bit cleaner, wasn't sure though, and one time, output three was cleaner... It's so subtle though and I'm not even sure, I think I can exclude any hiss...

Threlly 05.07.2006 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blay
[
:lol:

Couldnt let that one go past unnoticed eh Threlly?

cheers

Blay

well, if you can't laugh eh ?

rapidfire 05.07.2006 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timo
Not sure, but the first things to check would be if the bit-reduction or sample-rate reduction effects (distortion + saturation) are used, and/or if Noise is used as an sound source, or whatever.

The bit-reduction feature, by design, gives off strange artefacts particularly during the late decay/release portion of a sound, if activated.

The FM control may also be a source of distortion/hiss, such as FM modulation via white noise, etc.

That seems logical, yes!

But in my case, the hiss in the patch only occur in the VC, not via midi.
What do you make of that? :?

Timo 05.07.2006 03:42 PM

Maybe there's a troll hidden in your USB cable who doesn't like dodgy code passing through it. I'd unplug it and look down it, and use a knitting need to poke him out.

rapidfire 05.07.2006 03:46 PM

Yeah, that might be it, of cource!! :lol:

But seriously, have you ever witnessed anything like this, at a friends place or heard anyone claim this type of issue? :?