The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002

The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 (http://www.infekted.org/virus/forum.php)
-   The forum members' music (http://www.infekted.org/virus/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   Another funky one... (http://www.infekted.org/virus/showthread.php?t=24050)

GeN 01.12.2003 02:59 PM

Another funky one...

Revolution
House again 8)
tnx

Juho L 01.12.2003 03:10 PM

Hmm... Where's the bass? Hardly no bass at all. I think this kind of music needs some boom. And the intro was maybe a bit too long. I'm not going to say anything about the musical aspect because there weren't any... H?h?h?. Sorry. But seriously add a bit more bass (maybe sub bass on the background) and shorten the intro.

GeN 01.12.2003 03:46 PM

?hem... I agree on the bass :oops: ... not on the musical aspect though 8O

I guess I just worked to long on the track, so I just forgot about one of the important things...
However I've recorded the bass a bit louder, compressed and eqed a bit... should be booming now :twisted: (now you gonna tell me it's too boomy ;) )
I will stay with the intro as it is :P
The new version can be downloaded via the old link...
tnx for notifying me :)

Juho L 02.12.2003 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeN
not on the musical aspect though 8O

Hoho. I was joking.

Quote:

However I've recorded the bass a bit louder, compressed and eqed a bit... should be booming now (now you gonna tell me it's too boomy ;) )
No I won't tell its too boomy. Now I say you have serious EQ trouble. Have you used heavy EQ on this track? Middle frequencies are very loud so it sounds like I'm listening this through 20 euro battery operated cassette player. And still the bass lacks the really low end. It seems like it stops on 100Hz or something.

If you have EQ's on this track just remove them and start mastering all over again. To be frank the mastering sounds quite horrible to my ears right now. Mixing is good, but mastering drags this song into a swamp. Remember that the less EQ the better. Use EQ only if it's necessary. If you're having trouble in getting the mix to sound good without EQ, try to pan different parts to give every part its own position in the stereo image. Just a little bit panning can usually do wonders. Now it seems that everything on this track is in middle, which causes trouble.

Edit: Leave bass in the middle and pan other tracks.

GeN 02.12.2003 05:57 PM

Woa ql, wouldn't have thought of such a good knowledgeable advice in this forum, cause I've hardly got any response to earlier tracks here. Thank you very much, THIS is what makes people advance (at least more than replies to topics like "How to make a good bassline?").

I will definately do another mix, although I've already given that mix to a DJ :oops:
However it's not on my site yet :D
/me goes tweaking

3o3 02.12.2003 06:39 PM

Since i am using lame pc-speakers right now i really cant hear any thing bad in the mix.

Well, more bass - or is it just my speakers..? nice track, sounds abit like Daft Punk meets Roger Sanchez wich isnt bad. Nice work GeN

udenjoe 03.12.2003 04:36 AM

This is nice. I like it better than your last ones. Less Daft Punk and more GeN.

I have to agree the mastering is not so good. Despite that I have 3 of your songs in iTunes.

GeN 07.12.2003 03:56 PM

I've made some improvements to the song (at least I think so ;) ) and used some of your advice... thanks :)
rEVOLution

Hollowcell 08.12.2003 12:48 AM

just listening right now...

nice start with interesting scratch sections...although i feel they are breaking up the flow of the track a fair bit...

once the scratches settle down, the track has a really cool groove! like it..

full on structure to this one there gen! interesting...in a cool way though!

nice track gen....

i wont comment on production as im listening on headphones at work today. im looking forward to putting on monitors at home!

scottyp 08.12.2003 09:29 PM

i'm not ususally one for house but i'm feelin this one - i do like the choppiness of it at the beginning - intro may be a bit long, but it's good for a 12" - lots of mixin time

wheel up!