The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002

The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 (http://www.infekted.org/virus/forum.php)
-   General discussion about music production (http://www.infekted.org/virus/forumdisplay.php?f=106)
-   -   MIDI Hell (http://www.infekted.org/virus/showthread.php?t=24036)

Juho L 21.11.2003 07:13 AM

MIDI Hell

Gaah! Trouble ahead. Equipment is this:

Nord Modular - MIDI IO for seuqencer & MIDI IO for editor
Yamaha A4000 - MIDI IO for sequencer and editor
Roland A-33 - 2x MIDI out, 1x MIDI in and thru
Midisport 2x2 - 2x MIDI IO

Now the problem is that what's the best solution for this setup? It seems that it's not possible to use the A-33 to control the modules that both Modular and A4000 would have dedicated MIDI out from the keyboard because I also need a sequencer (doh). So it seems that there's a need for much bigger MIDI box. I can't connect the Modular and A4000 in series because the A4000 is edited on a computer and funny things might happen when the Modular starts to read the SysEx meant for the A4000. So is there any ideas how I could avoid getting a new MIDI box?

udenjoe 21.11.2003 09:15 AM

The only thing could be getting a new midi box. That's the only solution I see. Or some midi patch bay. I posted a question about midi at the ms2000 site becuase my ms acts up sometime. It was determined that it was my midi set up is too daisy chained.

Or you'd have to move the cables for sysex messages.

Sell your midisport for a 8 out?

Hollowcell 21.11.2003 09:16 AM

hehehe, juho has to spend more money!!

the only way i can see itll work out, is if u run ya modular editor off another computer...

then run one of the sequencer midi outs thru the roland into ya yamaha...and the other midi out from ya sequencer to the modular...mmmm, midi box or a new computer?!?

good luck mate...hehe

Juho L 21.11.2003 10:10 AM

I found Opcode Studio4 8xMidi I/O rack for a good price. So that's the solution.

Edit: By the way what do you guys think of that setup? I think it's quite good when considering that I exchanged my Virus kB for that stuff.

Hollowcell 21.11.2003 10:44 AM

nice! i think the modulars are really good......gutsy nord sound with inputs! cant go wrong really.....

what outboard gear have u got? fx and the like.

Juho L 21.11.2003 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hollowcell
what outboard gear have u got? fx and the like.

In addition to those new GASings I have Behringer Virtualizer Pro as my one and only multipaavo (multi-fx), Yamaha MG10/2 mixer, Stagg MD-3000 high quality 30? mic, a plastic Hohner recorder and 1,20? kazoo (got to get loan for that kazoo).

Tomer=Trance 21.11.2003 11:05 AM

i think its realy nice....
will fit even better for you then the virus did oh do you already miss the little guy? :)

Juho L 21.11.2003 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomer=Trance
will fit even better for you then the virus did oh do you already miss the little guy? :)

I don't miss my Virus (who would when you have a better VA and a sampler in replacement), but I indeed miss a keyboard. Gaah! It's annoying to not have a keyboard to play. But I hope I'll get those stuff next week. Christmas came early this year for me.

Hollowcell 21.11.2003 11:37 AM

that kazzooooo sounds ggreeeaaattt!! hehe

the reason i asked about outboard is becuase i rekon u may need it more now with the nord.....

i think u will miss the virus though! the nords are great! but i know u think people can make n e sound on n e VA...after owning (and using in a studio setup) a few of the more unique ones..i definatley would miss either my virusC or my nord...they have their strengths!

i havent spent much time with a VB though. i have to admit the strength of the virus includes the VC filters, EQs and distortions...so, maybe i wouldnt miss a b either!

n e way, hope it all goes well for u mate!

Juho L 21.11.2003 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hollowcell
n e way, hope it all goes well for u mate!

I think it goes well. Almost everything is certain but the A-33 is a half question mark (I know it's still for sale but not sure do I manage to get money for it before it's sold) and the Opcode MIDI is complete question mark (now answer yet from the seller). I hope I'll get those.

But no matter what 3o3 got fresh breath.