The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002

The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 (http://www.infekted.org/virus/forum.php)
-   Sound designing (http://www.infekted.org/virus/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   virus effects or vst ? (http://www.infekted.org/virus/showthread.php?t=24082)

dries 14.12.2003 04:52 PM

virus effects or vst ?

i think the virus effects are damn good. what do you guys use, the cubase/logic etc. effects or the on board virus ones.

pros/cons?

thanks

dries

Juho L 14.12.2003 05:39 PM

Of course HW effects!

Tomer=Trance 14.12.2003 05:45 PM

quality software fx
always record the virus dry

Juho L 14.12.2003 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomer=Trance
quality software fx
always record the virus dry

Good grief! Virus has for example excellent phaser which no software can beat!

Hollowcell 15.12.2003 12:52 AM

i use alot of quality software...but i prefer to run most stuff thru outboard FX before...I LOVE MY VF1!!!......i do use the EQs, phaser, delays and distortions off my VC a fair bit too...(does EQ count as FX!?!?!) hehe

i should mention too-most stuff is run thru a valve here and there as well!

Tomer=Trance 15.12.2003 04:48 AM

of course i use the virus's phaser and you are right
also use the corus but i dont use delay and reverb off the virus

Panopticon 15.12.2003 07:29 AM

Well, I guess I use a combination of hard/software depending on which is the right tool for the job. I use Waves a lot; I mean, you can't really beat Waves on things like reverb, EQ, compressors/limiters. But I like HW delays and choruses.

That probably doesn't do a thing to answer your question...

Juho L 15.12.2003 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panopticon
I mean, you can't really beat Waves on things like reverb, EQ, compressors/limiters. But I like HW delays and choruses.

This is strange. Why you use hardware delay and software reverb? It should be other way around, my friend. Delay is so simple that there is no sense in using external effects for that one (its just playback with some slight additional modulation) but the reverb on the other hand is that kind of effect that I've only heard one VST reverb that sounds even slightly as good as my medicore Behringer reverb (and the plug-in wasn't Waves. Waves reverb is metallic nonsense reverb as 99% of the software reverbs are) and that plug-in took quite good amount of CPU.

If you're using a multieffect for your delays, I would advice to use software to delay and the fX-unit to reverb. Even bad HW reverb sounds as good as ok software one.

But what comes to the other Waves plug-ins, they're excellent! C4, L2, Q4 are the favourites.

Tomer=Trance 15.12.2003 12:48 PM

the tc works reverb is one of my favorite softare reverbs
also the roomverb m2 is great

Juho L 15.12.2003 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomer=Trance
the tc works reverb is one of my favorite softare reverbs
also the roomverb m2 is great

The only good software reverb I've heard was a DX-plugin. Can't remember the name at the moment. 4040 or something like that.

But really HW beats SW reverbs. You just have to try it out by yourself.