The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002

The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 (http://www.infekted.org/virus/forum.php)
-   Studio equipment (http://www.infekted.org/virus/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   Mopho or Blofeld ? (http://www.infekted.org/virus/showthread.php?t=32117)

nutrinoland 08.04.2010 07:56 PM

Mopho or Blofeld ?

Hi guys...
i need some advice...
I've been saving up some money for a new synth...
I already got a Virus Snow.
I was thinking about getting a Mopho....
But I am confused whether i should get a Mopho or a Blofeld...
I already have an awesome VA synth - the snow, so i was thinking about getting an analog synth - the Mopho, for bass mostly...
is it silly to want a blofeld when i already have a snow ????
should i just go for the Mopho now without thinking about this anymore ???
what would you do ??

thanks

PaPi 08.04.2010 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nutrinoland (Post 296094)
Hi guys...
i need some advice...
I've been saving up some money for a new synth...
I already got a Virus Snow.
I was thinking about getting a Mopho....
But I am confused whether i should get a Mopho or a Blofeld...
I already have an awesome VA synth - the snow, so i was thinking about getting an analog synth - the Mopho, for bass mostly...
is it silly to want a blofeld when i already have a snow ????
should i just go for the Mopho now without thinking about this anymore ???
what would you do ??

thanks

Not all analog or VA synths are created equal. They do sound very different and they have different capabilities. Having more than one is definitely not redundant.

Mopho has limited applications, it's a mono synth. Basically an analog bass/lead synthesizer. If that's what you need, go for it.

Blofeld is more like a traditional analog polysynth. IMHO it's a bit overpriced for what you get (for the same money, you can get a used Novation Supernova or Korg RADIAS, which are much more capable synths.) It would be great if it had something like the Virus total integration, but unfortunately it doesn't have that.

Especially in consideration of their rock bottom prices, I would take a good look at the Alesis Micron or the Microkorg XL (or even the slightly better specced and better built R3.) Actually you can probably get both (Micron and Microkorg XL/R3) used on eBay for the price of a new Blofeld. If you like the Waldorf sound, you might also consider a used Micro Q (I don't think they make it anymore), which will cost you less than half the price of a new Blofeld for a very similar sound texture.

PS: the new Microkorg XL and the old Microkorg are two completely different beasts. The former uses the RADIAS engine, the latter that of the MS2000. You definitely want the XL.

ShortBus 08.04.2010 09:35 PM

Mopho keyboard isnt too pricey try looking into that. All synths have there own unique charactor I have three analog and 1 VA (TIpolar) and they all sound completely different. You get way more options and fx with digital synths but analog has a certain warmth ,grit and imperfections.

nashsnazzy 09.04.2010 02:58 AM

I picked up a Mopho module about six weeks ago. I love it. I love it so much I preordered the Mopho Keyboard. There is just something so tangible about it's sound that you won't quite get out of your Virus Snow. Thats not a knock on the Virus Snow its just that the Mopho is different.

I dont' want to steer the thread off topic but someone but why isn't the Blofeld considered powerful compared to Radius or SuperNova? Is it just the polyphony or lack there of? The Blofeld can mimic the Q and it has wavetables too. That sounds fairly powerful to me.

PaPi 09.04.2010 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nashsnazzy (Post 296097)
I dont' want to steer the thread off topic but someone but why isn't the Blofeld considered powerful compared to Radius or SuperNova? Is it just the polyphony or lack there of? The Blofeld can mimic the Q and it has wavetables too. That sounds fairly powerful to me.

I meant that as a VA synth, the Blofeld is no match for the complexity of the other two. Its wavetables aren't of any particular interest to me. If you want a digital synth, there are far more sophisticated products on the market in the softsynth arena, particularly Alchemy, Omnisphere and Absynth.

~BHG~ 09.04.2010 03:13 PM

To bad you cant do a real Live PA with software synths!;) Gear + Live = Win

Matt van k 09.04.2010 07:39 PM

Think about a DSI Evolver Desktop.He has more Features(Sequencer for external gear,Delay,outputhack,highpassfilter,2digital/2analog OSC´s) as a Mopho but of course mopho is a mopho.He sounds different(like a Kettenraucher) but you get more out of an evolver.

But you can do nothing wrong with DSI and a Virus combination.
The Waldorf sound is a matter of taste i think.He sounds good of course but for my infected ears to harsh;)

What gear also?

hmmm Nordrack 1,2? or an effectproccesor like this beast:
http://www.otomachines.com/ 8bit,analog,delay,

however,
Good luck stranger.May the force be with you:cool:

PaPi 10.04.2010 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~BHG~ (Post 296100)
To bad you cant do a real Live PA with software synths!;) Gear + Live = Win

Huh? Why not? First you wrap your favorite VST into a standalone (like Savihost), then you connect your laptop to a decent audio interface, the interface to either a keyboard or a DAW (or both) via MIDI and its audio outputs to the PA system, and pronto, you have the equivalent of a Blofeld.

Mr Ben 13.04.2010 07:22 AM

Don't forget about the Waldorf Pulse.;)
Excellent analogue monosynth.

If you can find one

SHINOBI 04.06.2010 07:24 PM

Blofeld rules...just take the time...really powerfull synth ;)