The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002

The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 (http://www.infekted.org/virus/forum.php)
-   General discussion about Access Virus (http://www.infekted.org/virus/forumdisplay.php?f=105)
-   -   OK - I'm back, and I can officially confirm that.. (http://www.infekted.org/virus/showthread.php?t=25104)

ben crosland 25.01.2005 08:25 PM

OK - I'm back, and I can officially confirm that..

..TI F*CKING ROCKS!!!!

Pay no attention to the whinging no-marks on certain forums - the HyperSaw is officially the phattest sounding oscillator you have ever heard. End of story.

I demo'ed it to masses of people, including plenty of A/B/C owners, and there wasn't a single one of them who wasn't left reeling from this baby.

In fact, for most of the time, I barely had to demo more than just the new oscillators themselves, without even touching the filters or efx, before people were convinced that this board is the absolute mutt's nuts.

As for the Wavetables, I only scratched the surface in the video, and can confirm that they are not limited to 4 waves each ;) You can also rest assured that all manner of textures will be included in the release version, from nice to nasty and plenty in between.

Oh, and just so it's clear - WE 0WN3D NAMM 2005 8)

ten 25.01.2005 09:27 PM

Cheers Ben, loved the demo (jammy sod) Just seeing that has made all the difference and I think thats simply what most of us waiting wanted.

That hypersaw sounded bloody mental when you added the unison, cant wait to play with that.

Do you really think they will make the 45 days though?

ten

ben crosland 25.01.2005 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ten
Cheers Ben, loved the demo (jammy sod) Just seeing that has made all the difference and I think thats simply what most of us waiting wanted.

That hypersaw sounded bloody mental when you added the unison, cant wait to play with that.

Do you really think they will make the 45 days though?

ten

Glad you enjoyed it - I can't bring myself to watch it yet ;) As for the 45 days , all I know is that Access are keener than anyone to make this happen, and are working as hard as they can.

One thing I can promise is that t's gonna be worth the wait...

DIGITAL SCREAMS 25.01.2005 10:00 PM

Ben that demo rocked....really rocked. I fucking loved the sound of osc 1 FM sync......soooooo Mono-poly. I was genuinely suprised at how fat one hypersaw oscilator sounded. I was also very impressed by the wavetable......sounded just how i hoped it would be!

Hypersaw & Moog filter combo sounded really great. I can imagine making some mega fat 80's sounds with it.

Im pre-ordering now.....it does rock 8)

DS

ben crosland 25.01.2005 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DIGITAL SCREAMS
Ben that demo rocked....really rocked. I fucking loved the sound of osc 1 FM sync......soooooo Mono-poly

DS

Cheers! I should clarify though, that there is no FM capability in the HyperSaw oscillator - hence we use the FM knob to control the intensity of the osc's internal sync whilst in this mode.

However, I don't know whether I remembered to mention how you will be able to choose between two FM modes for the Wavetable oscillators (when used in Osc2)? FreqMod and PhaseMod, which give drastically different results to each other - I was making some frakking crazy sounds with this over the last few days...

Merlot 25.01.2005 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ben crosland
However, I don't know whether I remembered to mention how you will be able to choose between two FM modes for the Wavetable oscillators (when used in Osc2)? FreqMod and PhaseMod, which give drastically different results to each other - I was making some frakking crazy sounds with this over the last few days...

That is going to Fookin rock. Cant wait to get my hands on this thing. In the mean time, it is back to the old trusty ES2. Ben, did you save any as mp3's by chance? Can you post them, assuming access will let you?

Merlot 25.01.2005 10:42 PM

Ben,
BTW the demo was a million times better than the one at Messe '04!! :lol: :lol:

markorbit 25.01.2005 10:51 PM

demo

Yeah good demo Ben. It sounds great. Everytime I thought you had it covered out popped another feature. You nearly even smirked when you announced the release date. Haven't been reading the board have you? :lol:

tranzash 25.01.2005 11:19 PM

Re: OK - I'm back, and I can officially confirm that..

Quote:

..TI F*CKING ROCKS!!!!

Awesome job Ben. :D

Gopal 25.01.2005 11:27 PM

Nice Work Ben,

Will be a while before I get to play with one seeing as you guys don't have a decent distributer in NZ. (They were trying to sell me a Virus B desktop for $3500NZD (1,918 Euros) :roll: only 4 months ago).

But can't wait to play with one regardless. :lol:

Timo 25.01.2005 11:29 PM

Excellent demo Ben! Thanks a million for that. ......We were getting worried, but that Hypersaw, omfg.......... :D

Bjorktribe 26.01.2005 01:36 AM

Quote:

As for the Wavetables, I only scratched the surface in the video, and can confirm that they are not limited to 4 waves each ;) You can also rest assured that all manner of textures will be included in the release version, from nice to nasty and plenty in between.

Those wavetables should do some wicked rhythmic effects! Thanks Ben, that video was just excellent! :D !

Hollowcell 26.01.2005 03:30 AM

Hey Ben, nice job mate. :wink:

blay 26.01.2005 03:54 AM

meh.
let me just say - FINALLY.
but too little, too late really.

another 45 days eh? sure. :roll:

people made reference to Ben 'only scratching the surface'.
did anyone stop to think maybe thats all he could demonstrate without the thing bugging?
i did not see him hit one chord during the whole demo - just one note playing.

DJ REMIDI 26.01.2005 03:58 AM

Wait, did I hear this correctly? Did Ben say we'll be able send audio through THREE stereo busses via USB inside a host? I thought the official statement from Access was TWO stereo outs through USB. Am I misinterpreting something?
Listen to the segment where he's talking about the VST shell, sounds like he says, "...to start with 3 stereo busses within your host..." :?: 8O

blay 26.01.2005 04:03 AM

im not quoting anyone here, but i believe marc stated that it would be possible to implement up to four stereo busses in future OS :D

Hollowcell 26.01.2005 04:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blay

You should probably watch it again me thinks.

Have you changed your mind though Blay? Not getting one now?

blay 26.01.2005 04:17 AM

ok - i lied :wink: :roll:

it was taking so friggin long to DL - i made my comment before the end.
my apologies.

havent changed my mind HC - just not appreciating comments like
Quote:

Pay no attention to the whinging no-marks on certain forums
from certain access employees.....
how can you criticise people for complaining about (at least) a three month delay? sorry - but i think they are 'passing the buck' here.
even their website still posts a release date of dec 2004 :roll:

the TI obviuously sounds great - but in 43 days time i wonder if we will get an update for shipping postponed till May 2005?

FloatingPoint 26.01.2005 04:44 AM

Quote:

Quote:

how can you criticise people for complaining about (at least) a three month delay?

Amen.
The demo sounds fantastic but lobbing insults at potential customers is a pretty stupid business move.

ten 26.01.2005 06:05 AM

If you read the sentance carefully benny boy was speaking about peoples thoughts on the hypersaw 'Pay no attention to the whinging no-marks on certain forums - the HyperSaw is officially the phattest sounding oscillator you have ever heard. End of story.' Not the release dates.

If you have read some of my recent posts you will know I have been at the front of the rants about the release of the TI. But I think we all knew secretly it was going to be delayed a fair bit, right??? :) Either way, the demo was very cool and will tide me over till release which my magic ball is estimating an april date.

Come on boys, its nearly done...lets be positive for the last few weeks. You know this thing is going to sound the fucking dogs underbits, and all this will be forgotton the minute this thing is shipping and in homes like it never happened.......until the TI-2 ;)

ten

ben crosland 26.01.2005 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FloatingPoint
Quote:

Quote:

how can you criticise people for complaining about (at least) a three month delay?

Amen.
The demo sounds fantastic but lobbing insults at potential customers is a pretty stupid business move.

I didn't aim this comment at anyone on this forum - I was specifically referring to some posts I'd read elsewhere which were saying that the demo sounded thin, and no different to the C etc.

It certainly shouldn't be considered as coming from Access themselves, as I am not an employee - I guess I might have shown a little more restraint, but hey ;)

DIGITAL SCREAMS 26.01.2005 08:15 AM

Well ive owned a Virus KC for over a year and I KNOW in my mind that 1 hypersaw oscilator on the TI is fatter than:

Using all oscilators+subs+UnisonMode 8 on existing virus'

Personally I think the hyper saw rocks when u minimise the detune spread....fucking great sound from a VA.

DS

DIGITAL SCREAMS 26.01.2005 08:18 AM

Oh and btw.......i appreciate the fact that Ben posts here. He doesnt have to.....but its def nice he does....he always provides good insight....jammy bastard hehehehe

DS

DIGITAL SCREAMS 26.01.2005 08:22 AM

Ben i have a question. Does the 24bit/192khz make any discernable difference to the aliasing?

DS

ben crosland 26.01.2005 08:22 AM

Quote:

Well ive owned a Virus KC for over a year and I KNOW in my mind that 1 hypersaw oscilator on the TI is fatter than:

Using all oscilators+subs+UnisonMode 8 on existing virus'

Personally I think the hyper saw rocks when u minimise the detune spread....fucking great sound from a VA.

DS

You've hit the nail on the head, DS - the sound of the HS osc is way better than can be achieved by stacking up the C's oscillators. It's very analogue-sounding, IMO.

ben crosland 26.01.2005 08:29 AM

Quote:

Ben i have a question. Does the 24bit/192khz make any discernable difference to the aliasing?

DS

The original virus oscillators still sound the same as they ever did, and so they should really, otherwise they wouldn't be backwards compatible. However, the HyperSaw doesn't seem to alias at all, and the pure sine wave in Wavetable 0 is completely alias-free.

MarcTale 26.01.2005 11:38 AM

Quote:

im not quoting anyone here, but i believe marc stated that it would be possible to implement up to four stereo busses in future OS :D

Yeah, that was me.
I posted an Interview with Marc Schlaile from Access that was in German Keys from January in another Thread.

@Ben : Great Video! Do you have more (Vids or MP3?s?)

ten 26.01.2005 01:11 PM

From one of Marc's posts to the access mail list...

'the bandwidth allows 8 mono (4 stereo) @16bit/48k or 6 mono @24bit.
other configs are possible but not planned for the initial 1.0 release. the Virus Control does receive the audio streams from the Virus in a proprietary protocol. this allows us to use the VC in parallel to a ASIO/Core Audio driver which is a big plus (if we wouldn't do this you couldn't stream parts from the virus into the remote and use an existing audio interface).'

So I guess depending on what sample/bit rate the host sequencer is running depends on how many outputs you can have? Or will it be configurable from the virus hardware/software?

Another question is does the audio outputs that are going through the usb line go through the D/A convertors to convert the outputs to whatever the host sequencer is running at? Again if not I guess you will be able to configure this through the hard/software? Or will it just auto-detect and change accordingly?

All confusing stuff :)

ten

jasedee 26.01.2005 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ten
Another question is does the audio outputs that are going through the usb line go through the D/A convertors to convert the outputs to whatever the host sequencer is running at?

Theres no D/A stage using USB, however, there will be sample rate conversion (192k->whatever) and/or dithering if your sequencer is running at 16bit

MADSTATION 26.01.2005 03:23 PM

Really nice demo.
Hypersaw sounds so good that I'll probably end up selling my jp8080(I liked the supersaw).

I really hope the wavetable section will be expanded and people get creative with it, because this opens incredible new sounds to the already, more than impressive Virus series.

All in all, I'm really satisfied, just wish I kept my KC for a few months before selling it! lol I'm mostly stuck with vsts now, which are fine but are eating my cpu!

Smag 26.01.2005 03:33 PM

Will the wavetable Osc make the Virus capable of "bright" sounds like the Microwave XT then? Is this brightness a characteristic of wavetable synthesis in general or the Microwave?

Also, will you be able to mix the Wavetable Osc with the Hypersaw?

dries 26.01.2005 03:54 PM

very bad news...

...for the competition.

when does access go public?

sounds like a good investment to me.

ten 26.01.2005 05:03 PM

Its been public since November. www.virus-ti.com

ten

DIGITAL SCREAMS 26.01.2005 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smag
Will the wavetable Osc make the Virus capable of "bright" sounds like the Microwave XT then? Is this brightness a characteristic of wavetable synthesis in general or the Microwave?

Yes you can mix hypersaws and wavetables together. As far as the brightness goes...i think you will be able to get close.....but in my opinion the Virus has always sounded inherently dark (i.e. less bright than other synths/VA's). But dont hold me to that....as its just an opinion.

DS

Househead 26.01.2005 06:34 PM

Quote:

..TI F*CKING ROCKS!!!!

Nice demo Ben...Sound phat as phuck mate :)

Trying to watch it on the stream was a fooking nightmare, even on broad from Sonicstate...A lot of people tring to watch the same time as me must be a GOOD thing, eh :wink:

HH

Gopal 26.01.2005 08:03 PM

The one thing I'll say about that TI is that we are all gonna have to start producing in much higher resolutions and bitrates if we are gonna have enough headroom in the mix for more than a couple of those sounds.

Is there such a thing as TOO PHAT?

I never thought so before... Now I'm not so sure. 8O

ben crosland 26.01.2005 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smag

Yes. In fact it's really nice being able to fade into a fat, warm Hypersaw from a cold, digital wavetable using Osc Balance.

marc 26.01.2005 09:35 PM

Quote:

meh.
let me just say - FINALLY.
but too little, too late really.

another 45 days eh? sure. :roll:

people made reference to Ben 'only scratching the surface'.
did anyone stop to think maybe thats all he could demonstrate without the thing bugging?

i think the point of ben's demo is to make sounds from scratch. as you can see in the build up of the demo, the hypersaw has many faces. "only" playing premanufactured sounds would certaily work but wouldn't make people understand how versatile it is. and on top of it, if i would as fast as ben in making sounds from scratch, i probably wouldn't demo with presets myself ;)

best, marc

Gopal 26.01.2005 11:03 PM

Yeah, you can't take anything away from Ben's skills in sound designing. I would never touch a preset if I had his skills.

The video has really changed my mind in some ways, this unit really is a big step up from a virus C, there's just no two ways about it. Its a completely new beast.

I think everyone should probably show a little more patience given that this is such a groundbreaking product and the last thing anyone wants is to see it rushed into the marketplace without sufficient time to test all its functions and reliability.

Lucky for us Access provide us with free OS updates and I think they probably are gonna leave a bit of room for improvement via OS updates in the TI.

Which means, its just gonna keep getting better :)

Hollowcell 27.01.2005 12:51 AM

Watching the Vid for a 6th time I realize the worth of that hyper-saw. It's just that one second of tone that emiates from the thing when Ben first dials in the detune-spread. As far as the rest of the hyper-saw sound it's very "trance", but that 1 second shows a door into a heavy dark sound (more than just trance oriented) - whack on distortion, EQ and filter and I wouldn't have any trouble getting it into a mix I rekon.

Get rid of the VC vocoda and put hyper-saw on the C!!! Please :D .

PS..I'm glad people when people demo sounds, they run them dry. Preseted demos are fine and all, but they don't give an acturate representation of what the machine will sound like in my studio. Again, nice demo Ben.