The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002

The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 (http://www.infekted.org/virus/forum.php)
-   The forum members' music (http://www.infekted.org/virus/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   Release - ambient/soundscape. (http://www.infekted.org/virus/showthread.php?t=32132)

feedingear 16.04.2010 11:04 AM

Release - ambient/soundscape.

Hey all, never had much luck getting feedback on music on this forum but thought I would whack this up anyway. It's a uni composition to respond to an image, made entirely in Camel Audio Alchemy, using granular synthesis to resample acoustic recordings I did of water, as well as for oscillators and some other vocal samples.

Here is the link to the image.

http://ahbeejieh.deviantart.com/art/...rpunk-47082751

And the soundcloud link here.

http://soundcloud.com/feedingear/release-final-128kb

:)

nutrinoland 16.04.2010 02:35 PM

wow....cool sounds......i like the deep bass sound and the human voice aaahh sound too......its nice....atmospheric......gets a bit sci fi towards the end... was more organic to start with....
the water sounds nice too...
very nice overall......

feedingear 16.04.2010 10:26 PM

Thanks for taking the time to have a listen and give some feedback, appreciated :).

nutrinoland 17.04.2010 12:08 AM

hey...so u used only alchemy to make this piece ?? no virus ??

what does alchemy do ?? is it a granular synth ?? never checked out...
does it use samples as the source for granular synthesis??? or is it more like graintables like the virus ??

mind if i ask how u made some of those sounds??

i'm especially interested in knowing about the aahhhhh vocal sort of sound in the first part of the piece...

boborulz 17.04.2010 02:11 AM

Good effort dude! Think you integrated the picture/music quite well...nice sounds, quite a convincing soundscape.

feedingear 17.04.2010 03:40 AM

Yeah - the plugin is called Camel Audio Alchemy - www.camelaudio.com.

Basically the patch was playing a vocal sample, in granular mode, with a low amount of grain and size to give it a choppy feel. Massive reverb send to turn it into a wash, then a low pass filter while moving the sample position knob to change the point of sample being played which affected the pitch. Then I just did some automation passes until I got the result I was happy with and bounced it down into a track.

The sub bassy sample at the start is an acousmatic recording of a truck that I cleaned up and gave a faster attack to. Alchemy allows you to use 4 audio sources/oscillators at once.

Its an incredibly powerful VST and is fast becoming my go to synth for anything sample based, but the VA aspect of it is very strong too. Check out the 21 day trial - fully functional and I reckon after you try, youll want to buy :).

PaPi 17.04.2010 01:16 PM

Huge Alchemy fan here! One of my favorite softsynths ever. Couple it with CamelSpace for some incredible effects and you'll have a truly amazing noise-making machine. The sky is the limit!

feedingear 17.04.2010 03:04 PM

Well check out my track to here some of the results :D.

Love it too. Between the TI and Alchemy and NI Massive, my synth setup is pretty much sorted. And yes, running camelspace/camelphat too :D. Camelphat instant LFO go to plugin.

nutrinoland 17.04.2010 06:33 PM

Cool Info thanks...
I'll try alchemy....i do like granular stuff..
i have only used fruity granulizer so far.....
I'll try the Alchemy demo.....

great....

do u do a lot of sample based stuff??

i was just looking at the korg Electribe esx sampler last night.....is it any good for mangling samples?? i wish it had some granular effects in it...
are there any hardware granular synths that use samples as the ocsillators ??
something cheap...not Nord Wave or something like that....

thanks

:)

PaPi 17.04.2010 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nutrinoland (Post 296168)

i was just looking at the korg Electribe esx sampler last night.....is it any good for mangling samples??

Obsolete technology. Takes precious desk space. Why bother with MIDI and audio cables?

Alchemy will blow your mind.

PaPi 17.04.2010 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by feedingear (Post 296167)
Well check out my track to here some of the results :D.

I did that. Liked it. Cool.

feedingear 18.04.2010 02:46 AM

Yah I have to agree with PaPi. Youll get far more flexibility from Alchemy. You can modulate pretty much anything to anything. With a ridiculous amount of LFOs, MSEGS etc available as well, plus the ability to have 8 snapshot of presets to morph between (similar to Kore 2), it's hard to imagine how you could run out of control.

Thanks for taking a listen :).

PaPi 18.04.2010 04:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by feedingear (Post 296175)
Yah I have to agree with PaPi. Youll get far more flexibility from Alchemy. You can modulate pretty much anything to anything. With a ridiculous amount of LFOs, MSEGS etc available as well, plus the ability to have 8 snapshot of presets to morph between (similar to Kore 2), it's hard to imagine how you could run out of control.

Thanks for taking a listen :).

The really cool thing is that the Kore 2 controller can now control pretty much anything and not only Kore, like before. Took me 5 minutes to write a template for Alchemy. Waaaaaay smoother transitions (sound morphing) than with a mouse.

nutrinoland 18.04.2010 09:27 AM

Hey Guys...i'm really enjoying this Alchemy synth...haha...

the granulizer is too awesome....and i have not even tries any of that re-synthesis or additive stuff yet....
i'm maybe gonna buy this....
have u guys bought it??
I think its one of those synths that you can settle down with for a while...start using it real well....its quite intuitive... and once understanding some concepts on the virus like the matrix, well makes Alchemy quite easy to understand and use......yet it seems like quite a deep synth too...there is lots of everything in it....50 filter types..15 filters.....its easy to make even wavetable sorts of sounds on it.....its cool....i like it....i just brought in some samples i had made on the virus, into alchemy.....wow.....its like i wanna open every sound i make on the virus in something like this....like every channel just has one of these....so far it does not seem to use too much processor power..

MBTC 18.04.2010 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nutrinoland (Post 296178)
have u guys bought it??

I've tried the demo, and it was impressive. With all available sound banks it was around $500, which was about the price of Omnisphere, and for whatever reason (I don't remember) I went with Omnisphere last year instead. My most recent toy is the TI2 desktop which is going to preclude any expensive VST purchases for a while.

Alchemy might have actually been a better choice in retrospect for the type of music I do, but both are nice to have for sample/synth hybrids. Omni can do a lot of the cinematic - type "too good to be a softsynth" sounds like you hear out of Alchemy, though in trance I find myself not reaching for it as much as Zebra2, Synlenth and such.

I think a lot of the appeal (to me) about Alchemy was how "alive" and dynamic the sounds are, which I can get for any of my synths by putting CamelSpace on a mixer track for gating / chopping up and interesting modulations. The fact that its a mixer plugin and I can use it with any instrument is where the real value is I think.

So if you want to make some of your existing instruments have that "wow" sound like Alchemy, you might want to try CamelSpace for $85. Personally I think it contains all the functionality that is about 90% responsible for Alchemy sounding as good as it does.

PaPi 19.04.2010 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nutrinoland (Post 296178)
Hey Guys...i'm really enjoying this Alchemy synth...haha...
have u guys bought it??

Actually, I'm an early adopter. I was already a CamelAudio customer with their previous synths, which Alchemy replaced.

Don't know if the optional soundbanks are worth considering, I tried one (ambient/soundtrack or something like that) but frankly I'm more satisfied with the patches I programmed myself. It's a very user-friendly synth, it won't take you too long to master it.

I like Omnisphere, but the interaction between samples and synthesis is primitive when compared to Alchemy's.

PaPi 19.04.2010 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBTC (Post 296180)
So if you want to make some of your existing instruments have that "wow" sound like Alchemy, you might want to try CamelSpace for $85. Personally I think it contains all the functionality that is about 90% responsible for Alchemy sounding as good as it does.

You could also consider just buying one of the soundpacks (I said maybe not worth the price, but only if you have Alchemy.) They all come with an Alchemy player and therefore you don't need to buy the synth.