The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002

The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 (http://www.infekted.org/virus/forum.php)
-   General discussion about Access Virus (http://www.infekted.org/virus/forumdisplay.php?f=105)
-   -   Why isn't Access making more C's? (http://www.infekted.org/virus/showthread.php?t=25275)

wildbill 24.03.2005 09:07 PM

Why isn't Access making more C's?

i think it was a big mistake for them to shut down production of the C's.

everything should be in place to start making them again right?

better than losing lots of customers, no?

hatembr 25.03.2005 12:22 AM

why losing a lot of customers? i don't understand, AFAIK, current C owners won't buy a new C every month :D
So current owners may benefit from OS updates, and future access customers would buy the TI

Tomer=Trance 25.03.2005 07:29 AM

i think around 15000 units were made,maybe more.
thats alot.

DIGITAL SCREAMS 25.03.2005 10:16 AM

Where did u get that figure from Tommer?

DS

Wandering Kid 25.03.2005 08:16 PM

i thought about this and i couldnt see why they stopped production. no retailer sells the C anymore. so technically access has only 1 product on the market - the access virus classic. and even then i dont see that about often.

i thought maybe it was prohibitively expensive to keep manufacturing the C model. but the virus classic shot that theory to shit - its a cheap virus b. and i dont think the production costs of the C are significantly more than the B model. so why cant they at least keep the niche open for people who want a bit more more than a virus classic (noteably a virus with a keyboard) but who dont have the money to go all the way for a TI.

it just doesnt seem like a sensible thing to do. anyone else have any ideas? maybe im missing something important out.

EnjoyRC 25.03.2005 09:40 PM

For as long as I've been playing... uh... er... um... yeah, a while. :) Keyboard manufacturers have fallen into two categories. Keyboard manufacturers (Like Korg, Roland, Yamaha and Alesis) that make the whole range of keyboards (toys, to pro). Then there has always been those specialized keyboard companies that create their one and only flagship product. In the old days, it was EMU, Synclavier, Kurzweil, etc...

From what I've experienced, the companies that create the specialized line do what they do VERY WELL. Instead of trying to be everything to everyone. I've always looked at Access, Clavia, Waldorf, and others to fall into this category. It's definitely cost effective for Access to only produce one circuit board, instead of maintaining numerous products.

Obviously, my own opinion.

Tomer=Trance 26.03.2005 08:00 AM

no its not expensive they have men power which used to make Cs,now that same men/women ( :wink:) power is making TIs.
training a new temporary work force just isnt worth it i guess...
REMEMBER,they are runing a buisness...

DS:i was just throwing a number but i bet access wont mind telling you how much units they sold if you'l mail them.

Wandering Kid 30.03.2005 05:23 PM

once again.

virus classic!

come on guys. its a virus b. with a new colour job. the manufacturing process is not much different from the virus c and not that much different from the virus TI. the dimensions are almost exactly the same. the same rotaries. the same buttons. the same mechanisms for both. the same DSPs. the same power supplies. the same wooden side panels and almost the same bolts and screws and what not. whatever manufacturing process they used to cut the metal casing on the virus b still exists because they still manufacture the virus classic. and it doesnt cost them a great deal to do this because they can sell classics for 600 quid and still make a profit.

they dont need a standby workforce to make these. they dont need all new manufacturing processes - they already have them. the virus TI manufacturing process is like the virus C. but with some extra steps. hence why it costs more.

Tomer=Trance 31.03.2005 07:11 AM

lets say you have only 1 machine that make synths.
access used it to make Cs till now but now they want to make TIs.
buy another machine? no way,too much money... lets stop making Cs and use it to make TIs.

:D

Hollowcell 31.03.2005 09:16 AM

My guess with this one is that they had lots of spare bits left over for the B series. Why not spray a few cases a different colour and then sell them as a new model. :wink: