The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002

The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 (http://www.infekted.org/virus/forum.php)
-   General discussion about Access Virus (http://www.infekted.org/virus/forumdisplay.php?f=105)
-   -   Virus TI Polar Insides (http://www.infekted.org/virus/showthread.php?t=34150)

synthfiend 29.02.2016 05:05 AM

Virus TI Polar Insides

4 Attachment(s)
I have a blown power supply so I have dismantled my Virus.

The power supply is just like a laptop one and has been mounted inside on the base.

MAINBOARD

Attachment 476

OVERALL SHOT

Attachment 477

BASE WITH ANALOGUE IN/OUTS PLUS POWER SUPPLY

Attachment 478

POWER SUPPLY

Attachment 479

Timo 29.02.2016 01:57 PM

Big thanks for sharing. Have you replaced the PSU yet?

Looks like a similar arrangement to my older Indigo (shown below), complete with laptop-style PSU attached to the chassis base.

Looks like the Polar also has easy access to the CR2032 battery. Another user, Evilgus, was considering replacing his recently: http://infekted.org/virus/showthread.php?p=305995

synthfiend 29.02.2016 08:19 PM

Hi
No, I have'nt replaced it yet, still trying to source it. Access sell the external one from their online shop however I don't think that one would fit.

IanT 01.03.2016 09:34 PM

That's brilliant!

I usually take things to bit and can't remember how to put them together again! :confused:

Hope you get a PSU soon, and please let it know where your sourced it from.

Ian

evilgus 02.03.2016 10:57 AM

I guess I'd better pull my finger out and replace the battery on mine, although, it hasn't actually been playing up, lately. :roll: Also keen to see what has been done with my power supply, as it actually has a wall-wart, hard-wired to the rear of the case. (Pretty annoying for transport!) Maybe the original PSU died, so the previous owner found an alternative. Or maybe the early TI models had this setup...?

EG

synthfiend 03.03.2016 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evilgus (Post 306070)
I guess I'd better pull my finger out and replace the battery on mine, although, it hasn't actually been playing up, lately. :roll: Also keen to see what has been done with my power supply, as it actually has a wall-wart, hard-wired to the rear of the case. (Pretty annoying for transport!) Maybe the original PSU died, so the previous owner found an alternative. Or maybe the early TI models had this setup...?

EG

No, they come like that originally.
Mine will end up the same. The replacement ps doesn't fit inside internal mount.

theMusicMan 09.10.2016 01:32 PM

Did you manage to replace the damaged power supply? I have a similar issue currently, with my TI not powering up. Where did you manage to purchase the replacement power supply from please?

synthfiend 10.10.2016 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theMusicMan (Post 306336)
Did you manage to replace the damaged power supply? I have a similar issue currently, with my TI not powering up. Where did you manage to purchase the replacement power supply from please?

I bought the external power supply for the desktop version from Access. I then just plugged it in where the original one connects on the board inside (see the last photo in my original post). The cord and associated transformer then just hangs out the hole where the original plug used to be. Certainly not the most elegant solution but I will never sell my Virus so it's nothing to worry about.
Remember to cable tie the power lead securely inside so it will not get tugged out.

theMusicMan 10.10.2016 11:14 AM

Hi - yep, I did almost the same thing yesterday.

I decided that (1) given it wasn't working, (2) I couldn't really afford to send it away (+ repair costs), and (3) that my Virus is 8 years old so way out of warranty - I'd open her up and take a look. I have a slightly more powerful power supply, which I tested and which worked perfectly - so, voila!

I get what you mean about the cables, I have concocted a similar solution as the cables wouldn't pass through the existing power chord opening! As you say, not the most elegant solution, but it's one that has worked and I now have a fully functioning TI again!