The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002

The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 (http://www.infekted.org/virus/forum.php)
-   General discussion about music production (http://www.infekted.org/virus/forumdisplay.php?f=106)
-   -   Song writing processes (http://www.infekted.org/virus/showthread.php?t=24143)

Smag 13.01.2004 03:40 PM

Song writing processes

Hi Folks,

Just wondering how the solo producers out there write their music. Do you lay the drums down and then build the synths around it or do you leave the drums till last? Is it better to build a track starting with a vocal sample for instance? :roll:

It's a bit different when you are producing on your own because you're not in a band and can't feed off other band members as you "jam", so you have to trust your own judgement a lot more, Know what I mean?

Juho L 13.01.2004 03:44 PM

Edit: Gah! That was an ancient thread I posted.

Well I usually don't start from any certain part. Sometimes it's a nice chord progression, sometimes a new sound gets me going and now and then a certain idea for the song.

Drammy 13.01.2004 03:44 PM

I start with drums and bass - compress the kick together with the bass and then write the track around them.

Then develop a groove, pads, lead in that order and then I redo the drums using the same pattern but select the drums to fit the track.

Smag 13.01.2004 09:15 PM

Like Martyn, i've been building the drums and then going onto other stuff. I might try starting off from vocal samples and then seeing what happens from there (Moby and Fatboy Slim do it that way). I just wanted to see how other people approach it.

Hollowcell 14.01.2004 12:30 AM

it really depends on the track itself. 4 beat dance tracks i usually start with the drums. but broken drum tracks i tend to start with a melody or bassline.

Tomer=Trance 14.01.2004 05:03 AM

i most of the track write a 4 beat tracks and usualy i start up with bass part and melodic parts

scottyp 14.01.2004 01:35 PM

I ususally start with a basic dnb drum pattern and then hit the virus for a bassline. After that I go back to the drums to try and change them up a bit and try some different patterns. Really I'm kinda all over the place.

udenjoe 15.01.2004 11:00 AM

I usually get better results starting with some synth harmony sound. It is easier to start with the drums. If you want to try something different use a different approach.

3o3 15.01.2004 11:42 AM

I usually start with the lead sound and build everything around that - the lead is the thing imho that carries the song.. sometimes i usually just are trying to create new patches and go from there to build the song

Jade 15.01.2004 09:37 PM

As a pianist I start with a nice catchy melody, then I want to get the rythm right... that's where I start to see where I'm heading. Well, after that I put in some bass and strings (yeah, I like strings) *freak*. I finish with the effects. And then I go through it all and change what I don't think is perfect. But this far I've never done something perfect and that's annoying me *wrinkle my nose*. But this is pretty much how I do my songs *hi,hi*