The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002

The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 (http://www.infekted.org/virus/forum.php)
-   General discussion about Access Virus (http://www.infekted.org/virus/forumdisplay.php?f=105)
-   -   DISASTER!! My Virus C has died a cruel death! (http://www.infekted.org/virus/showthread.php?t=24120)

BlueSwan 07.01.2004 03:52 PM

DISASTER!! My Virus C has died a cruel death!

I've just moved to a new house. All of my equipment survived the move, but my beloved Virus C did no survive my own stupidity and thoughtlessness. Carelessly I plugged the wrong power supply into the Virus - instead of inserting 12v into it, it got a good dosage of 30v! After I discovered this I changed to the correct power supply whereupon the Virus started smelling like burned plastic!!

I have now mailed it off to the danish supplier of Access products, but I have little hope that it can be fixed... :cry:

Juho L 07.01.2004 03:55 PM

*gasp* That's nasty. If there's no separate circuit board for the power suplly your Virus is 99% dead.

DIGITAL SCREAMS 07.01.2004 04:13 PM

Does your Virus come under your household insurance policy? I dunno, perhaps u could claim insurance and buy a Virus KC instead hehe

DS

BlueSwan 07.01.2004 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juho L
*gasp* That's nasty. If there's no separate circuit board for the power suplly your Virus is 99% dead.

Yikes! This sounds very unsetteling! :cry:

BlueSwan 07.01.2004 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DIGITAL SCREAMS
Does your Virus come under your household insurance policy? I dunno, perhaps u could claim insurance and buy a Virus KC instead hehe

DS

I have thought about this briefly. I very much doubt that any insurance would cover this, but if it's comepltely destroyed I'll try to find out for sure!

Juho L 07.01.2004 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueSwan
Yikes! This sounds very unsetteling! :cry:

Sad but true. Modern devices have so many components that it would be just waste of time to start looking for broken components.

Tomer=Trance 07.01.2004 06:21 PM

well im sure access can point out what happends in this kind of cases and know exacly what is broken

Juho L 07.01.2004 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomer=Trance
...and know exacly what is broken

And for that task they need a medio. Maybe with extreme luck only the AC filter caps are broken and the extra voltage didn't had enought time to cause damage.

twister6 07.01.2004 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juho L
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomer=Trance
...and know exacly what is broken

And for that task they need a medio. Maybe with extreme luck only the AC filter caps are broken and the extra voltage didn't had enought time to cause damage.

Well, unless they have a fuse protecting the main power supply trace from oversaturated current flow, than you probably did some hefty damage in there. I'm sure they probably have some dc/dc to step down for DSP (most likely +3.3V), op-amps, and other miscellanious ICs - those could be replaced easily. But, if you burn traces inside of your circuit board (pwb), then everything will need to be replaced and can't be repaired.

Juho L 07.01.2004 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twister6
Well, unless they have a fuse protecting the main power supply trace from oversaturated current flow, than you probably did some hefty damage in there. I'm sure they probably have some dc/dc to step down for DSP (most likely +3.3V), op-amps, and other miscellanious ICs - those could be replaced easily. But, if you burn traces inside of your circuit board (pwb), then everything will need to be replaced and can't be repaired.

"After I discovered this I changed to the correct power supply whereupon the Virus started smelling like burned plastic!"

There are fried components. The IC's are the easiest parts, but if you have dozens of resistors and caps it's impossible to know which of them are burned/damaged.